Wednesday 25 November 2015

The 'Green Skincare' Queen: Tata Harper



Named the "Queen of Green Skincare" by Forbes Magazine, Tata Harper is the founder of 100% natural and non-toxic skincare brand Tata Harper Skincare. Originally from Barranquilla, Colombia, Harper now lives and works on a 1,200 acre farm in Vermont where her company is based as part of her brand’s farm-to-face philosophy. Here we catch up with Tata...



Tata Harper Skincare is founded on the idea that women no longer have to sacrifice their health to look and feel beautiful.  Where did this inspiration come from?


After my stepfather was diagnosed with cancer and went thru his treatments, we realized how important lifestyle is to your health and wellbeing.  I went with him to all of his doctor visits and through each step of the process, I committed myself to implementing change in my lifestyle as well.  At one point, they asked him to bring in all of his personal care products, which is when I thought, wow, if I had to bring in all of my personal care products, it would be an entire cabinet! 



I searched for natural skincare products that would deliver the results I was used to and provide a luxurious experience.  But, I was not able to find anything outside of the standard supermarket brands.  So, I set out to do the research myself.


How does your vision compare now to when you started?


I think that it is still the same.  My vision is to create real anti aging solutions for modern women, who want results without compromise. The one thing that has changed over time is the messaging of the brand.  When I launched the brand, the message was focused on the active ingredients.  Now, it is more about the technology and the science.  We are focusing more on the benefits of the ingredients, as well as the other parts of the formula.  These are the things that other brands don’t want to focus on:  preservatives, emulsifiers, stabilizers, thickeners, etc.  These are the things that make the products function.  For us, these things are not a secret.  We are putting our “open lab” out there for everyone to see.  The quality behind our formulation is something that we want everyone to know about and see for themselves.  But, for synthetic brands, these parts of the formulation are where they cut corners.  They do not want their customers to know about what they are using for these ingredients. 


What are the key benefits people can expect when using your range?


It really depends on the product.  Each one has specific benefits with customized ingredients to deliver those benefits.   But, in general, when someone is using our line, they will notice a natural and healthy complexion, improved tone, and an amazing glow.  The other incredible benefit of using our products is the experience of the application and the ritual that comes from using the products.  The therapeutic benefits are a result of the high quality essential oils that we use in all of our products.   I find that when women enjoy the ritual, they  are more motivated to spend time using the products consistently.


Do you have a favourite, or a soft spot, for any particular product?


I have a real soft spot for Elixir Vitae and the Regenerating Cleanser.  I cannot live without them! And my newest crush is the Concentrated Brightening Essence. The additional brightening benefits that come from using this booster along with the serum are incredible!


Every process involved in creating your products, from research, formulation, packaging and distribution is done in house - what is your favourite part of the whole process?


My most favourite part of the process is definitely the creation and conceptualization of each product.  I am inspired to find alternatives for products that only exist in a synthetic form in the industry.  Each product goes thru many formulations.  They are truly a labor of love for me! I get so excited once a new product is complete, especially because each one of them is so amazing!


What would you say is your number one beauty essential?
 
A really good serum.

Apart from producing sumptuous, safe and beautiful products - what else are you passionate about?


I’m passionate about fashion in general. I actually thought that I was going to be a fashion designer when I was young.  I had my own fashion company for a short time and I loved it!

I also love antiques and antiquing trips.  I really enjoy decorating the atmosphere that I spend time in every day, whether it is my home, office, or guest house.



What is the best advice you have been given? 


The best advice I ever got was from my grandfather.  He taught me to always finish whatever it is that you start.  I think that advice has stuck with me throughout my entire life.



What can we expect from Tata Harper Skincare in the future?


You will continue to see us deliver the highest quality natural products in the world, using the latest anti aging technology and ingredients.  As we grow, we will continue to expand the range of skin issues that we address and fulfill our customers’ needs in a pure way that delivers real results.


Tata Harper line has grown quickly in just five years, and is coveted by celebrities like Jessica Alba Lake Bell and Gwyneth Paltrow who summed it up as “Pretty much everything I use is Tata Harper.” If you are looking to upgrade your skincare routine...check out the full range here: Tata Harper Skincare.